This house at Astoria was once occupied as a residence by Ezra Fisher, a missionary. On March 9, 1847, John M. Shively was appointed postmaster for Astoria and soon afterwards this building became the first U.S. postoffice west of the Rocky Mountains.
In 1824 Dr. John McLoughlin built the first Fort Vancouver on a broad high prairie nearly a mile back from the river. It had no block houses, which is evidence of the amicable relations between Dr. McLoughlin and the Indians. They called him "White Eagle Chief". In 1828 he built a new fort near the river - just out of reach of higher water. The sketch shown here is of this fort at about the time Dr. McLoughlin resigned from the service of the Hudson Bay Co., after having been its Chief Factor and the outstanding figure in the history of the Northwest for more than two decades.
This is a view of Astoria in 1840. On April 12, 1812, the partners of John Jacob Ator, began the erection of a log fort at the place they had already named Astoria. In the location of this fort "America first placed her foot squarely upon the disputed territory of Oregon. During the war of 1812 the British took over Astoria and renamed it Fort George. In 1817 it again came into full possession of America and has ever since been an important seaport of the northwest.
The Oregon Institure, the first school looking toward higher education in Oregon, was formally opened for white children with Mrs. Chloe Clark Willson as teacher on August 16, 1844. It was located on the present campus of Willamette University in Salem. In 1842 it was an Indian mission school. In 1853 the Oregon Institute was designated by the Methodist Conference as the preparatory school of Willamette University.