Jason Lee was commissioned on July 17, 1833 by the Methodist Board of Missions as missionary to the Indians west of the Rocky Mts. Accompanied by his nephew, Daniel Lee, and Cyrus Shepard, Jason Lee left Fort Independence, Missouri on April 28, 1834, with the second overland trading expedition of Nathaniel J. Wyeth to the Pacific Coast. On July 27, at what later was known as Fort Hall, Jason preached his first sermon west of the Rockies to a congregation "of mountain men and Indians in the motley and rude garb of the wild west." They pushed on the Fort Vancouver on the Columbia where Dr. John McLoughlin advised them to establish their mission in the Willamette valley. They followed his counsel and before the close of the year the log-cabin mission you see in the picture was established on the east side of the Willamette river north of what is now Salem and opposite Wheatland, which is on the west bank of the river. This was the first school establoshed between the Columbia river and California.