A new armory was built to replace the 1898 armory. The new armory was touted as one of the largest in the country. The building, designed by architect John V. Bennes, is known as McAlexander Fieldhouse today.
Members of the Pierian (women) and Jeffersonian (men) literary societies gathered for this picnic at the end of the 1909-10 school year. Although membership in the societies was segregated by gender, they conducted occasional joint meetings and social events.