Phi Kappa Phi, an all-discipline honorary society, established a chapter at Oregon Agricultural College in 1924. Initial inductees included President William Jasper Kerr and long-time Board of Regents member James K. Weatherford. The group is standing in front of the College Library (now Kidder Hall).
OSU's marching band accompanied the football team to Los Angeles for the 1965 Rose Bowl. One of the band's activities was marching in this parade in Disneyland. OSU band director Ted Mesand (front center) leads the band, along with OSU assistant band director Ken Winther (right) and University of Arizona band director Jack Lee (left).
OSU's new Kerr Library was constructed in 1962 and 1963. One of the features of the building was a series of tile mosaic murals throughout the building. OSU art faculty member Nelson Sandgren created the murals. The mural in this photo was located on the third floor of the library. Parts of this mural remain on the third floor of the Valley Library.
A May Day pageant was one of OAC's traditions in the early 20th century. The queen and king of this May Day celebration were Marie Cathey and Charles Watts, seen in the center of the photograph. The pageants were typically held on the lawn to the southeast of the Administration Building (Benton Hall).
McKay was a 1917 graduate of Oregon State and served as its student body president. He served as governor of Oregon from 1949 to 1952, and also served as mayor of Salem (1933-35), state senator (1935-1949), and U.S. Secretary of the Interior (1953-1956). Colvig attended Oregon State in the early 1910s, and became well known as the voice of several Disney characters.
The Lady of the Fountain was a gift of the class of 1902 and constructed shortly after graduation. It was the second class gift presented to OSU in school history and was located on Lower Campus, just to the west of the intersection of where Madison Street today crosses 9th Street. On January 21, 1929, the statue was found destroyed.