Frank P. McWhorter was born in Nashville, Tennessee on April 20, 1896. He received his B.S. degree from Vanderbilt in 1917, Master Degree in 1920 from the University of Chicago, and his Ph. D from Cornell in 1928. McWhorter married Margaret Myers in January of 1922 and was the father of one son, Malcolm M., a 1946 OSU graduate. McWhorter was a plant pathologist with the Agricultural Research Service of the USDA. He came to Oregon State in 1930, and was stationed at the OSU Agricultural Experiment Station. His specialty was the study of viruses affecting lilies, gladiolus, and other flowers. McWhorter authored more than 140 technical and semi-technical publications, as well as the 1956 book, Diseases and Pests of Lilies. McWhorter was skilled in black and white photography, especially the photographing of diseased plant specimens. He took a leave of absence from March 1958 to April 1959 to become vicologist to the Philippine Government at the request of the United Nations. He studied and success fully identified Kadang Kadang, a disease that affected 35 percent of the coconut trees there. McWhorter retired from OSU in 1967, was honored as Professor Emeritus, and died November 16, 1985 at Carmel, California.
Robert George Rosenstiel was born in Portland, Oregon on 8 April 1910. He received a two year degree from Southern Oregon College of Education at Ashland in 1933, and taught grade and high school at Merrill, Oregon for two years. He received a BS degree in Education in 1937 from Oregon State College. He continued his studies there, receiving a BS degree in General Science and a MS degree in Entomology in 1939. Rosenstiel served as assistant in entomology at OSC from 1939 to 1941. From 1943 to 1946 Rosenstiel held the position of Oregon State Entomologist for the U.S. Public Health Service, headquartered in Corvallis. He briefly attended the University of California at Berkeley and Iowa State College at Ames. He received his Ph.D. in 1950 from the University of California, Berkeley. He returned to OSC in 1946 as Assistant Professor in the Entomology Department, and served as Associate Professor from 1952 until his retirement in 1975. Upon his retirement, he was honored with the title of Associate Professor Emeritus, a title he held until his death on 17 July 1995. His publications included scientific papers and Experiment Station circulars and bulletins, all relating to the control of insect pests on small fruits and berries. In all he was published 26 times during his academic career. His first wife, Ruth died in 1976; his second wife, Mildred and his three sons survived him.
James Franklin Bishop was born 5 September 1912 at Tigard, Oregon. He graduated from Oregon State Agricultural College in 1934 with a B.S. degree in Agricultural Technology. Between 1943 and 1955 Bishop served as Assistant County Agent in Coos County (1943-1944), County Club Agent in Marion County (1944-1947), Umatilla County Club Agent (1947-1949), and as the first City Extension Agent for Salem (1949-1955). Bishop then became a County Extension Agent at Large, a position he held until he resigned in September 1956 to become Public Relations Officer for George Fox College in Newberg. Later, he was employed by the Tigard School District. He was married to Elizabeth O. Bishop, and died July 22, 1997.
John V. Byrne came to Oregon State University as an Associate Professor of Marine Geology in 1961, becoming the Chairman of the Oceanography Department in 1968. Byrne was the OSU President from 1984-1995.
Dedication of Hatfield Marine Science Center. John V. Byrne came to Oregon State University as an Associate Professor of Marine Geology in 1961, becoming the Chairman of the Oceanography Department in 1968. Byrne was the OSU President from 1984-1995.