Board of Regents shown from left to right: W. E. Yates, John D. Olwell, W. P. Keady, B. G. Leedy (Master of Grange), J. K. Weatherford, B. F. Irvine, F. I. Dunbar, John D. Daly, J. M. Church, Governor T.T. Greer, John T. Apperson.
Front row (L to R): Willibald Weniger; Thomas Mooney Gardner; Gordon V. Skelton; Grant Albert Covell; Henry M. Parks; and Mark Clyde Phillips. Back row (L to R): C.L. Knopf; Earl Vincent Hawley; Samuel Herman Graf; E.P. Jackson; William McCaully Porter; Herbert Edward Cooke; and Wilford W. Gardner
William Jasper Kerr was the sixth president of Oregon Agricultural College from 1907-1932. Kerr increased the size of the campus with 25 new buildings, including Memorial Union, Milam Hall, and the Women's Building. Kerr also established numerous colleges, including engineering, agriculture, and home economics. After 25 years as president, Kerr became Oregon's first chancellor of higher education.
Prior to the beginnings of varsity baseball in 1907, Oregon State played baseball on an occasional basis beginning as early as 1883. In 1899, the school began playing an indoor version of the game. In 1900, the indoor baseball team compiled a 3-1 record, which included wins over the University of Oregon, Albany College, and the Salem YMCA. Baseball players in photo are: A. J. Bier (lf), Harold Belt (rf), R. D. Burgess (c), Elwood Clark (2b), Arthur Derby (1b), J. G. Elgin (mgr), Ira Hamilton (lf), James Hartley (3b), Raymond Heinkler (nf Cayst), C. E. Small (p)
Baseball team (about 1898), information from negative envelope: Allen '00, Heinkler '98, Sharp '98. In the 1938 Orange and Black, players are identified as: standing (l to r) WL Sharp, Jesse Tharp, Bill Patterson, Harold Belt, and Raymond Henkle. Seated (l to r) Henry Howells, Will Smith, Al Campbell, and Tom Allen. Published in Orange & Black 1938, p. 103.
Professor John D. Letcher with calculus class. John D. Letcher was Acting President of Oregon Agricultural College in 1892. Letcher was a professor of Mathematics, Engineering, and Military Science and Tactics from 1888-1894.
"Ol" John's picture gallery in the MU shoe shine shop. On the day that this photo was taken three alumni visited John Hines and looked at his bulletin board featuring pictures of men in service throughout the world, including fighter pilot, Marion Carl (just above John's finger) When John left OSC in 1946 he had accumulated more than 3000 images, most of which were given to the Alumni Association. Photo was used on cover of the Oregon Stater, March 1944.
Ruth Nomura, born in Portland in 1907, was one of the first Japanese Americans to be born in Oregon. She was also the first Nisei woman from Portland to attend Oregon State Agricultural College. Enrolling in 1926, Nomura graduated in 1930 with a B.S. in Home Economics.
This image shows the Hogg/Nash house (surrounded by trees) on the current site of Waldo Hall. At the far right is the Administration Building (present day Benton Hall), to the middle of center is the Gymnasium and Armory (present day Gladys Valley Gymnastics Center) and at the far left is Cauthorn Hall (present day Fairbanks Hall).
Apperson served on the OAC board of regents from 1888-1917 and was president of the board from 1894 to 1901. Apperson (1834-1917) was also a steamboat captain, Clackamas County sheriff, and Oregon legislator who also served in the Oregon Cavalry during the Civil War. The second Mechanical Hall was named Apperson Hall in his honor in 1920.
Prominent in the foreground is the Bandstand. Visible from left to right are the Administration Building (present day Benton Hall), the Paleontology Lab (present day Women's Center) and Science Hall (present day Furman Hall). Downtown Corvallis is seen in the distance. Visible are the Benton County Courthouse, the central school and the Presbyterian Church.
This image was used in the 1892-93 catalog and also in The Orange and Black, 1938. George Coote (1842-1908), a native of England, emigrated directly to Corvallis in 1877, where he established himself as a farmer. In 1888 Coote accepted a position within Oregon Agricultural College's Department of Horticulture - eventually becoming its chair - which he maintained until months before his death in November 1908. During his tenure, Coote was responsible for the college's grounds and greenhouses, and also published several Extension Service Bulletin articles on fruits, flowers, vegetables and nuts.
From left to right: Science Hall (present day Furman Hall), Cauthorn Hall (present day Fairbanks Hall), the Wilson House, the Paleontology Lab (present day Women's Center), Administration Building (present day Benton Hall), Alpha Hall, campus water tower, and Mechanical Hall (present day Kearney Hall)