Shepard Hall was constructed in 1908 and was funded entirely by students, alumni, faculty, and friends of Oregon Agricultural College. It was built by the Young Men's and Women's Christian Associations to provide facilities for student organizations. It was named for Clay Shepard, a 1904 OAC graduate, who first proposed such a building and raised most of the funds before he died in 1906. In 1940, the State Board of Higher Education purchased the building and renovated it for the Speech Department.
During the Willamette Valley flood emergency of January 1943, KOAC stayed on the air broadcasting information and assisting in the evacuation of flood refugees. Burton Hutton (left) and Grant B. Feikert provided hourly readings of the rising river, allowing farmers to save irreplaceable machinery and valuable livestock.
Photo shows Parker Stadium (under construction) in foreground; Gill Coliseum on the left; track and baseball fields and tennis courts in the upper left corner. This scan was taken from the photograph housed in the News and Communications Services Photograph Collection (P 057).