John Finley Hines ("Ol John") began shining shoes in the Memorial Union in 1930, within a year after the Memorial Union opened. His parlor, one of the "friendliest places on the campus", was a campus attraction because of John's extensive display of photographs of students, athletic teams, events, and campus scenes.
John Finley Hinds, known as "Ol' John," ran a shoeshine parlor in the Memorial Union during the 1930s and 1940s. He received letters, pictures and samples of foreign money from Oregon State students, alumni and faculty from all around the world.
J. Leo Fairbanks was the mural artist. J. Leo Fairbanks was a professor of Art and Architecture and Chairman of the department from 1923-1946. The art department's Fairbanks Hall is named after him. Some of his paintings and sculptures are contained in the Memorial Union art collection.