The "Lady of the Fountain" is property of the Class of 1902. Shown in the picture are: Claude F. Palmer, Alma Ethelyn Scharpf, Dean Mary A. Rolfe, (behind lady), Helen Gail Mattley, and Harold Walton Readon. The statue was stolen by U of O students and stored in a Portland basement for almost two years. Helen Mattley '22 got word of it through "devious" channels and after it was confirmed through a fake inspection by Flloyd Carter '20 passing as a telephone employee. The group listed above along with Johnny Wells, campus policeman, went to Portland and brought it back. It was returned during a track meet in 1922.
Oregon State University's marching band, under the direction of James Douglass, makes its 1970 debut. They presented a variety of lively selections including "Can Can," "Football Hero," and "Born Free."
First commencement in Gill Coliseum in the spring of 1950. About 1,950 graduates received degrees in front of 10,000 relatives and friends. From 1914 until 1949, commencement ceremonies were held in the crowded Men's Gymnasium (Langton Hall.)