First commencement in Gill Coliseum in the spring of 1950. About 1,950 graduates received degrees in front of 10,000 relatives and friends. From 1914 until 1949, commencement ceremonies were held in the crowded Men's Gymnasium (Langton Hall.)
Robert Henderson was shown here photographing the OSU Marching Band. Robert W. Henderson received a B.S. in Agronomy in 1938. Henderson served as Assistant Director of the Agricultural Experiment Station and a Farm Crops faculty member from 1946-1976. Henderson was also known for his love of photography.
Journalism faculty member Fred Zwahlen is in the center of the photo. The first 30-Staters Club was founded in 1939. The intent of the clubs were "to support and further the interests of the O.S.C. Alumni Association" by "serv[ing] as a nucleus in any community around which to rally the services of the alumni whenever the occasion warrants." Membership in a given 30-Staters Club was originally restricted to no more than thirty male Oregon State alumni. One or more clubs could be established in any city, as interested warranted and pending approval from a governing executive committee.
Many consider Selig to have been the greatest gymnast in OSU history. She won three individual national titles – the balance beam in 1989 and 1990, and the floor exercise in 1990 – and was a seven-time All-American.