Receiving a MS in Soil Science from OSU in 1980, Bill Rogers began to work for the OSU Extension Service as a County Agent in Lincoln County that same year. In addition to holding adjunct faculty status in three different departments (Crop and Soil Science, Horticulture, and Forest Sciences), Rogers also worked for the 4-H Program as an aspect of his position with the Extension Service. In 1994 Rogers was promoted to the rank of Professor. He retired in 2003.
Helen Margaret Gilkey was born on March 6, 1886, in Montesano, Washington. She moved with her family to Corvallis in 1903. She received her MA at Oregon Agricultural College in 1911 and her PhD at University of California at Berkeley in 1915. From 1915 until 1918, she worked as a scientific illustrator at Berkeley. Curator of the herbarium at OAC from 1918 until 1951, Gilkey was also a Professor of Botany. She had 44 publications to her credit, 10 on vascular plant taxonomy and 10 on Tuberales. Gilkey died in 1972.
The Finleys' first home home in Corvallis (known as the "Nest in the West") stood on Van Buren and 5th Streets. The Finleys are standing on the upper porch, with their son, Ernest, and a niece. On the lower porch are Rev. Lowell, pastor of the Corvallis Church, and his wife, right; Mr. Osborne and daughter; and Rosa Jacobs. This photograph was published in the June 1930 "Oregon Stater", page 8.
This view was likely taken from the top of the Administration Building (Benton Hall) and shows the residential section southeast of the OAC campus. Lower Campus is in the foreground and a corner of Education Hall is at the right side of the photograph.
The new College President, John M. Bloss, arrived in Corvallis on June 3rd and conferred degrees to the Class of 1892 at the Commencement program on June 29th. Bloss is the tallest man in the back row. John D. Letcher, Acting President in 1892 until Bloss' arrival, is standing to Bloss' left and in front of him.