Eddy Elbridge Wilson graduated in 1889 with a B.S. From 1925-1940, Wilson was president then board member of the First National Bank of Corvallis. Wilson was also deeply involved with the community, working with the State Game Commission from 1935-1949 and the Corvallis Planning Commission from 1931-1941. At Oregon Agricultural College, Wilson served on the Board of Regents from 1906-1915 and 1924-1929. From 1925-1961, Wilson worked with the Memorial Union Board of Governors.
Receiving a MS in Soil Science from OSU in 1980, Bill Rogers began to work for the OSU Extension Service as a County Agent in Lincoln County that same year. In addition to holding adjunct faculty status in three different departments (Crop and Soil Science, Horticulture, and Forest Sciences), Rogers also worked for the 4-H Program as an aspect of his position with the Extension Service. In 1994 Rogers was promoted to the rank of Professor. He retired in 2003.
Helen Margaret Gilkey was born on March 6, 1886, in Montesano, Washington. She moved with her family to Corvallis in 1903. She received her MA at Oregon Agricultural College in 1911 and her PhD at University of California at Berkeley in 1915. From 1915 until 1918, she worked as a scientific illustrator at Berkeley. Curator of the herbarium at OAC from 1918 until 1951, Gilkey was also a Professor of Botany. She had 44 publications to her credit, 10 on vascular plant taxonomy and 10 on Tuberales. Gilkey died in 1972.
Frank P. McWhorter was born in Nashville, Tennessee on April 20, 1896. He received his B.S. degree from Vanderbilt in 1917, Master Degree in 1920 from the University of Chicago, and his Ph. D from Cornell in 1928. McWhorter married Margaret Myers in January of 1922 and was the father of one son, Malcolm M., a 1946 OSU graduate. McWhorter was a plant pathologist with the Agricultural Research Service of the USDA. He came to Oregon State in 1930, and was stationed at the OSU Agricultural Experiment Station. His specialty was the study of viruses affecting lilies, gladiolus, and other flowers. McWhorter authored more than 140 technical and semi-technical publications, as well as the 1956 book, Diseases and Pests of Lilies. McWhorter was skilled in black and white photography, especially the photographing of diseased plant specimens. He took a leave of absence from March 1958 to April 1959 to become vicologist to the Philippine Government at the request of the United Nations. He studied and success fully identified Kadang Kadang, a disease that affected 35 percent of the coconut trees there. McWhorter retired from OSU in 1967, was honored as Professor Emeritus, and died November 16, 1985 at Carmel, California.
The Finleys' first home home in Corvallis (known as the "Nest in the West") stood on Van Buren and 5th Streets. The Finleys are standing on the upper porch, with their son, Ernest, and a niece. On the lower porch are Rev. Lowell, pastor of the Corvallis Church, and his wife, right; Mr. Osborne and daughter; and Rosa Jacobs. This photograph was published in the June 1930 "Oregon Stater", page 8.