Five naval hospital wards from Camp Adair were moved to campus and joined together with connecting passageways. The wards were separated into movable sections like the one shown here and moved to campus over a period of several weeks. They were "installed" north of Milam Hall and housed most of the university's administrative offices until 1971. As the 1970 Oregon Stater stated: "Only a couple of dozen of the University's 15,000 students can get in the business office and registrar's areas at one time and most of them have to sooner or later."
Dairy research has a long history at OSU; the university has had a fully functional dairy for more than 100 years. Milk from the herd has been used for dairy products research and to produce ice cream and cheese for sale. The barns in the photo were destroyed by fire in 1968, but were soon rebuilt. Current research centers on ruminant nutrition, reproduction, animal health and behavior, herd management, and crop/grass production. Artisanal cheese production is a research focus in food science and technology.
Earl Price stands at left. Price worked for Oregon State for forty-three years and led the School of Agriculture from 1950 to 1965. Jess Hanson was a renowned local poultry breeder from about 1911-1966.