"In 1862, Congress appropriated 90,000 acres of land for the support of an Agricultural College, with the condition that the college be in operation in 1867. Under this act a denominational school of the M. E. church (South), already existing at Corvallis, was charged with the management of the Agricultural College. By doing so, the land grant was secured, and the expense of erecting a new building was saved. In this simple old structure, the pioneer students of O.A.C. were introduced into the mysteries of scientific farming. In 1867, the institution boasted twenty-two students."--The Orange, 1909. The Corvallis College building was located near the Court House.
Margaret Comstock Snell became the first professor of Household Economy and Hygiene in 1889. Snell was known as the "Apostle of fresh air", for her love of walks and open windows, and taught courses in sewing, cooking, entertaining, and conversation. Snell expanded the Home Economics department and retired in 1908.
The class of 1888 was the last to graduate from the old Corvallis College. Top row, left to right: Mary Newton (Slayton); Annie Lilly (Robbins), Gertrude Davis (Strange), Jessie Groves (Kittredge), Lilly Groves, Jennie Lilly (Mason). Front row: William W. Hall; James H. Collins; William Stock; Ira E. Allen.
Joseph Emery was a professor from 1867-1885 at Corvallis College. He taught mathematics, physics, geology, and physiology. He helped to raise the funds to purchase the original lands for the OSU campus. In 1885 Emery left Corvallis and became an agent for the U.S. Indian Agency at Klamath [Falls]. He died January 18, 1924 at Salinas, California.
Left to Right: E. E. Grimm, Prof. of Ag; Mrs. Ida Callahan, Assist. in Prep; B. L. Arnold, President; B. J. Hawthorn, Professor of Languages, Dr. Joseph Emery, Prof. of Math and Natural Sciences; W. W. Briston. Benjamin L. Arnold served as the President of Oregon Agricultural College from 1872-1892. Arnold constructed a curriculum structure, dividing studies into two departments, Literary and Scientific. Each department contained specific corresponding schools.