Playground, Oregon State School for the Blind (Salem, Oregon); Oregon State School for the Blind (Salem, Oregon)
|Object Name||Playground, Oregon State School for the Blind (Salem, Oregon)|
Oregon State School for the Blind (Salem, Oregon)
|View||Track at east end of property with inner guiderail and remnants of central playground |
|Alternate Name||Oregon Institute for the Blind (Salem, Oregon)|
Oregon School for the Blind (Salem, Oregon)
|Related Work (Part Of)||Oregon Institute for the Blind (Salem, Oregon)|
|Creator/Role||John Virginius Bennes (architect, 1867-1943)|
Jacobberger, Stanton, Franks, & Norman (architecture firm, 1948-1960)
Frederick Arthur Legg (architect, 1869- )
Kenneth Clair Legge (architect, 1898-1989)
Wolff & Phillips (architecture firm, 1942-1952)
George Melville Wolff (architect, 1898-1977)
Truman E. Philips (architect, 1902-1989)
Francis B. Jacobberger (architect, 1898-1962)
John Joseph Stanton (architect, 1895-1981)
Richard W. Norman (architect)
|Creator||Bennes, John V.|
Jacobberger, Stanton, Franks, & Norman
Jacobberger, Francis B.
Stanton, John J.
Norman, Richard W.
Franks, Everett B.
Legg, Frederick A.
Legge, Kenneth C.
Wolff & Phillips
Wolff, George M.
Philips, Truman E.
|Site Detail||700 Church Street Southeast |
|Photograph Date||May 14, 2010|
|Photographer||Carin Carlson, Fletcher Farr Ayotte, Inc.|
|Cataloger||Edward H. Teague |
public schools (buildings)
|Reference||National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form, http://boundless.uoregon.edu/digcol/archpnw/Marion_OregonSchoolBlind_nrnom.pdf |
|Notes||The Oregon State School for the Blind campus is 8.73 acres bound by neighboring Pringle Creek, Salem Hospital, Bush's Pasture Park, and residential neighborhoods, south of downtown Salem. The district boundary follows the legal property line as outlined in Figure 1. The campus consists of a conglomerate of eleven separate buildings constructed and altered over the past ninety years to serve the ever-evolving mission of the residential institution. The ten contributing buildings include an administrative complex including infirmary and dining wings, two dormitories, a classroom building, a gymnasium with pool and bowling alley additions, a boiler building, and two WWII Era houses. The only non-contributing structure is a modern maintenance building. Architectural styles represented include Italian Renaissance, Georgian Revival, International, and WWII Era Cottage and Minimal Traditional. |
|Metadata Notes||Description of this work is based initially on documentation supplied by the image provider. It is often the case with gift slides that very little information is provided. Review and updating of descriptive information by the collection cataloger is ongoing. |
|Digital Collection||Building Oregon: Architecture of Oregon & the Pacific Northwest|
|Source Collection||Architecture & Allied Arts Library, University of Oregon Libraries |
|Image Source||This image is provided by the Oregon Oregon State Historic Preservation Office, http://www.oregon.gov/OPRD/HCD/SHPO/ http://www.oregon.gov/OPRD/HCD/SHPO/ |
|Publisher||University of Oregon Libraries |
|Copyright||This image was included in the documentation to support a nomination to the National Register of Historic Places, a program of the National Park Service. The image is provided here by the Oregon State Historic Preservation Office and the University of Oregon Libraries to facilitate scholarship, research, and teaching. Please credit the Oregon State Historic Preservation Office when using this image. For other uses, such as publication, contact the State Historic Preservation Office. |
|File Name||OR_Marion_Salem_BlindSchool_04 |