Territorial capital at Corvallis, Oregon

Title
Territorial capital at Corvallis, Oregon
LC Subject
Government facilities Oregon Territory--Politics and government Capitols Buildings
Description
Oregon City was the first capital of Oregon Territory. In 1852, after much controversy, the capital was changed to Salem. In 1855, the Legislature passed a bill removing it to Corvallis. The Federal Government refused to recognize the change. As a result both houses of the Legislature convened in Corvallis, in the building shown here on December 3, 1855, and passed a bill, within a few days, changing the capital back to Salem. This went into effect the same month and the Legislature re-opened in Salem on December 18. Although efforts were afterwards made to change the location again and by vote at an election in 1856 Eugene received the largest number of votes. The election, because of failure of four counties to make official returns, was ignored and the capital has remained at Salem since 1855.
Work Type
lantern slides
Location
Corvallis >> Benton County >> Oregon >> United States
Date
1855
Identifier
P217:25:42
Rights
Public Domain Mark 1.0
Rights Holder
OSU Special Collections & Archives Research Center
Local Collection Name
Visual Instruction Department Lantern Slides, 1900-1940 (P 217)
Type
Image
Set
OSU Special Collections & Archives Research Center Corvallis Historical Images
Primary Set
OSU Special Collections & Archives Research Center
Is Part Of
Set 38 - Early Settlement of Oregon
Institution
Oregon State University
Created
2009-06-22
Modified
2011-07-11