Orpheum Theater (Portland, Oregon)

Title
Orpheum Theater (Portland, Oregon)
LC Subject
Architecture, American Architecture--United States
Alternative
Empress Theater (Portland, Oregon) Hippodrome Theater (Portland, Oregon) Pantages Theater (Portland, Oregon)
Creator
Priteca, Benjamin Marcus
Photographer
Ross, Marion Dean
Creator Display
Benjamin Marcus Priteca (architect, 1889-1971)
Description
This image is included in Building Oregon: Architecture of Oregon and the Pacific Northwest, a digital collection which provides documentation about the architectural heritage of the Pacific Northwest.
View
exterior: Orpheum Theatre, on the right Royal Building
Provenance
Architecture & Allied Arts Library, University of Oregon Libraries, http://library.uoregon.edu/aaa/
Temporal
1910-1919 1920-1929
Work Type
cultural centers (buildings) playhouses (buildings) theaters, motion picture
Latitude
45.519002
Longitude
-122.679933
Location
Portland >> Multnomah County Multnomah County Oregon United States
Street Address
759 SW Broadway
Date
1913 remodeled, 1926 demolished, 1976
View Date
1974-06-28
Identifier
pna_07172
Item Locator
mdr08165
Rights
Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International
Rights Holder
University of Oregon
Source
Gift of Wallace K. Huntington from the estate of Marion Dean Ross
Type
Image
Set
Building Oregon
Primary Set
Building Oregon
Institution
University of Oregon
Note
This theater opened in 1913 as the Empress Theater and operated under the name Hippodrome Theater from 1917-1925. B. Marcus Priteca renovated the structure and it became the Pantages Theater, 1927-29. It was known as the Orpheum Theater, 1929-1976. The site was occupied by Nordstrom's, Pioneer Courthouse Square.